Town Of Brutus

Brutus Town Court

Holly Green

PO Box 1006
9021 N. Seneca Street
Weedsport, NY 13166
315-834-7423; 315-266-4736
Hours of Operation:

TOWN COURT: Is always held on the first, second, third and/or fourth TUESDAY of every month beginning at 7pm.  Please check the calendar or call the office to determine if there has been a cancellation for any reason.


D.A. NIGHT: Is always held on the third Wednesday of each month with Judge Maltese starting at 4:00pm and Judge Fritsch following at 5:00pm. 


CLERK OFFICE HOURSTUES 9am-3pm; WED 9am-3pm; THURS 10am-3pm; FRI 9am-3pm


PLEASE NOTE: If you are traveling a distance to visit the Court Clerk, please call ahead.  Only the Court Clerk is allowed to verify information, accept fines or suspension payments and/or review information within the Court computer system. 

Town Justice
Hon. Geoffery G. Fritsch
PO Box 1006
9021 N Seneca St
Weedsport, NY 13166
Phone: 315-834-6618
Fax: 315-266-4736

Judge Fritsch was appointed to complete Judge Hook's term to 12/31/19.


*Judge Fritsch holds court on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month. 

Newly appointed term: 4 yr term (1/1/20 - 12/31/23) 

Town Justice
Hon. Andrew S. Maltese
PO Box 1006
9021 N Seneca St
Weedsport, NY 13166
Phone: 315-834-6618
Fax: 315-266-4736

 4 yr term (1/1/16-12/31/19)


*Judge Andrew S. Maltese holds court on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of each month. 

Newly appointed term: 4 yr term (1/1/20 - 12/31/23) 

Court FAQ

I just received a ticket and don't know what to do?

Sign under either the guilty (part a) or not guilty (part b) portion of the ticket and send the ticket to the Court that is written on the ticket.  You can find the Court and address on the left hand side of the ticket above the large print.  If you plead guilty, we will notify you by mail as to the fine and surcharge.  If you plead not guilty, we will notify you by mail on how to proceed thru the Cayuga County District Attorney's office to request a reduction or at your request a bench trial can be scheduled. 


PLEASE NOTE: If you have been charged with a misdemeanor, your appearance at Court is mandatory and you cannot plead by mail.  If you fail to appear, a warrant may be issued for your arrest.

If you can't read the ticket and don't know what Court to answer to, you may call the Department of Motor Vehicles("DMV") in Albany at 518-474-3255.


How do I know if I need an attorney?

If you are unsure of the charges, or how to proceed, then you may need to consult an attorney.  However, this is an individual decision.


How much will the fine be?

Once the ticket arrives at the Court, it is given to the Judge who will assess the fine.  There is no set amount for a specific charge.


What types of payments are accepted?

Cash, money orders and certified checks are accepted.  Personal checks will not be accepted.  Credit card payments are accepted, but cannot be made by phone.  If you prefer to pay by credit card, you can use Visa or Mastercard.  Normally, you can complete the bottom portion of the fine notice sent to you and either mail or fax the payment to the court.  If you do not have a fine notice, you can complete a plain paper listing your Visa or Mastercard number, the expiration date, the 3 character code on the back of the card, the amount owed to the court, your name, signature and telephone number.  This can be faxed or mailed to the court.  If you would like a receipt, you must include a self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment. 


Can I take care of this ticket in my local court?

No, you must reply to the Court listed on your ticket. 


What if I miss my court date assigned on the ticket?

Follow the above instructions in the first response and send the ticket immediately to the Court.


What if I lost or cannot find my ticket?

On a plain piece of paper, simply write whether you are pleading guilty or not guilty, sign your name including your address (legibly) and mail or fax that paper to the Court.


What if my license has been suspended by DMV?

If you have been suspended for failure to appear, you must answer the charge by sending in your plea before the suspension date takes effect.  If it is after the suspension date, send your plea with a certified check or money order in the amount of $70. 


If you have been suspended for failure to pay your fine, please call the Court to confirm the fine/surcharge amount.  The fine must be paid either in person or by sending a certified check or money order.  No personal checks.  Mastercard and Visa is also accepted.  Please call the Court for instructions.


How long does it take to have a suspension lifted?

You must pay the suspension termination fee or the fine/surcharge.  Once received by the Court, the Court will electronically transmit this information to the Department of Motor Vehicles on that same date.


Why do I have to pay a surcharge?

The surcharge is a mandatory fee imposed by the State of New York that must be paid on every ticket.


How can I get a ticket dismissed for an equipment violation that has been corrected?

The charge will be dismissed if proof is presented to the Court that the defect was corrected prior to ½ hour after sunset on the first full business day after the issuance of the summons.  The statement of correction for equipment defect can be obtained from any police agency.


Can I file a small claim in any court?

No, the small claim action must be filed in the Court that has jurisdiction where the defendant lives, works, or has a place of business.


What is the limit for small claims court?

No more than $3,000 in this Court


What do I need to file a small claim?

You must appear in person during Court office hours to file a claim.  The filing fee for claims in the amount up to $1,000 is $10.00; for claims between $1,000 and $3,000 is $15.00.  You must have the name and address of the person whom you are serving.