Town Of Brutus
 Record Requests 

Birth-Death-Genealogy-Marriage & Public Information (FOIL) requests

Registrar of Vital Statistics
Angela M. Skellington
Phone: (315)834-9398
Website: /

The Registrar of Vital Statistics is responsible for the maintenance and issuance of all birth, death, genealogy and/or marriage records that fall within the Town of Brutus and a limited amount of records from the Village of Weedsport.  The NYS Public Health Law establishes that each city, village and town constitutes a vital statistics registration district and must register and maintain records related to all births, deaths, marriages that occur within the jurisdiction.  (State hospitals, Charitable or Penal Institutions may also serve as registration districts.) 


Cities, towns and villages that conduct this function may charge up to $10 per certificate issued.

Deputy Registrar
Vicki L. Hickey
Phone: (315) 834-9398
Website: /
Both the Registrar and Deputy Registrar of Vital Statistics take an oath to support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of New York to faithfully and accurately perform duties as required by the Registrar and Deputy Registrar.   

MARRIAGE LICENSE INFORMATION (Certificate of Marriage Registration):

*Applicants are able to obtain a marriage license issued by a Town or City Clerk anywhere within New York State, outside of New York City.

*Applicants are able to get married anywhere within New York State.


*If either applicant is under 17 yrs of age, a marriage licensed cannot be issued.

*If either applicant is 17 yrs of age, such applicant(s) must present written consent of BOTH parents and a justice of the Supreme Court or a judge of the Family Court having jurisdiction over the Town or City in which the application is made. 

*If both applicants are 18 yrs of age or older, no consents are required. 

*One parent alone may consent to a minor's marriage if: 

    ·The other parent has been missing for one year preceding the application;

    ·The parents are divorced and the consenting parent was given sole custody of the child when the divorce decree was awarded;

    ·The other parent has been judged incompetent; or the other parent is deceased.

    ·Parents, guardians or other people consenting to the marriage of a minor must personally appear and acknowledge or execute their consent before the Town or City Clerk or some other authorized official.  (If the notarized affidavit is made before an official outside the State of New York, it must be accompanied by a certificate of authentication when the consent is filed in New York State.)



♦PROOF OF AGE - BIRTH CERTIFICATE (Baptismal Record and/or Naturalization Record)

♦PROOF OF IDENTITY - DRIVER'S LICENSE (Non-Driver's License, Passport, Employment and/or Student ID)

♦ANY AND ALL PREVIOUS MARRIAGES/DIVORCES showing that each divorce was recorded/filed at the applicable County Clerk office with a stamped date AND raised seal on each document stating when, where and against whom the divorce(s) were granted or against.  A certified copy of the Decree of Divorce or a Certificate of Dissolution of Marriage are official documents that official information can be obtained.



·The application must be signed by both applicants in the presence of the Town or City Clerk.  (A representative cannot apply for the license on behalf of the applicant, even if the representative has been given Power of Attorney rights.)

·Notarized marriage license affidavits signed by the applicants cannot be substituted for each individual's personal appearance.  


·Be prepared with the correct spelling of birth parents' names (Mother's maiden name? Born in the USA? Father's name? Born in the USA? etc.).

·Once the marriage license is obtained, a marriage cannot occur until 24 hours has passed, from the exact time that the license was issued.

·The marriage license is good for 60 days.

·A New York State marriage license may be used within New York State only. (Please note that if you go out of New York State to be married, your New York State marriage license will not be filed in New York State.)

·A marriage license costs $40 which must be paid by cash, check or money order.

·Please expect to be at the Town Municipal Building for approximately 30 minutes.


*Couples who do not receive a Certificate of Marriage Registration within four (4) weeks of the wedding ceremony should contact the Town or City Clerk who issued the license.



Every person has the right to adopt any name by which he or she wishes to be known simply by using that name consistently (without intent to defraud). A person's last name (surname) does not automatically change upon marriage and neither party to the marriage is required to change his or her last name.  Parties to a marriage need not take the same last name. 


The marriage certificate, containing the new name, if any, is proof that the use of the new name, or the retention of the former name, is lawful.


The local Social Security Administration Office should be contacted so that its records and your social security identification card reflect the name change.  There is no charge for this service.  You will need documentary evidence showing both your previous name and your new name.


To change the name on your NYS Driver's License or Non-Driver's Identification, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles for information. 


This form is required for any official record request for public access, related to the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL).