Town Of Brutus
 Parks & Recreation 

Aqueduct Park

Town Office

Route 31 West
Weedsport, NY 13166

The Centerport Aqueduct was opened in 1855 and originally carried the Erie Canal over a confluence of North Brook and Cold Springs Brook.  It was named "Centre Port" Aqueduct because it was located almost in the exact middle of Section 7 of the Erie Canal.  It is a three-span structure that was constructed with stone abutments and wooden beams made from white oak and pine. The trough was made from hemlock. It is one of the original 33 aqueducts built during the construction of the Erie Canal.


The Aqueduct is unusual as it incorporates a dam into the stonework structure.  The dam creates a pool of "dead" water above the aqueduct which allows gravel and silt to settle out of the stream.  The dam then creates a waterfall, which washes clear the wooden (plank) floor as it passes under the aqueduct.


Aqueduct Park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in February 2000.

Dawn to Dusk.
No overnight parking.

There are several picnic tables and small grills available.  The park does not have a water supply, restrooms or electricity available.  ALL TRASH MUST BE REMOVED.


A one mile trail, owned by Cayuga County, extends from the park to Centerport Road.  The trail then continues from Centerport Road to Port Byron.

Reservations are not necessary as the park is open to the public from dawn to dusk.